Mission & Objectives
ANFASA was formed as a national association especially for authors of general non-fiction works, textbooks and academic works, but it does not exclude authors of fictional works from membership. Many non-fiction authors write fiction as well, and vice versa. Moreover, ANFASA’s programmes, and its objectives, apply broadly to all authors. ANFASA is dedicated to defending their intellectual property rights, to promoting their works and to sharing information and offering advice and expertise on writing and publishing.
ANFASA’s vision is to be a member-driven association aiming to uphold and enhance the profile and status of authors in South Africa, through advocating for the recognition of their works and protection of their rights, in collaboration and cooperation with other stakeholders in the book value chain such as publishers, booksellers and libraries.
ANFASA recognises that authors have the potential to influence society for the better, as expressed in the United Nations development goals of campaigning to end poverty, protecting the environment and promoting peace and prosperity. Authors played a significant role in the South African struggle for democracy and showed that authors can have power. ANFASA’s overriding objective is to strengthen the voice of authors in the service of a democratic and egalitarian society.
ANFASA is a member of the South African Book Development Council (SABDC) and of the International Authors Forum (IAF).
- To promote the recognition and fair remuneration of authors, and respect for their rights;
- To facilitate the creation, publication and dissemination of quality works by both published and aspiring authors;
- To make and maintain links with and encourage cooperation between authors and others in the book value chain.
- Accountability: ANFASA will respect the spirit and honour the generosity of its sponsors and funders; and will respect its members by informing them on a regular basis about its policy decisions and its activities, and about events and developments likely to be of interest to them.
- Integrity: in its dealings ANFASA will endeavour to remain true to the principles underlying its formation and existence.
- Transparency: in all its activities, and especially where funds are concerned, as well as the election of board members, ANFASA will ensure that its procedures are open and transparent.
To promote and protect the intellectual property rights of its members and of all academic and non-fiction authors in South Africa, and to inform authors about their rights.
- To promote sound professional and legal relationships between authors and publishers and to assist authors in negotiating fair publishing contracts.
- To offer advice and assistance to authors of academic and non-fiction works.
- To encourage the personal development of aspiring and emerging academic and non-fiction authors and to offer guidance in all aspects of such writing.
- To provide a forum for debating issues of interest to academic and non-fiction authors and to provide support and solidarity in interacting with other writers, in South Africa and abroad.
- To facilitate interaction, exchange and collaboration between writers across the different media and with artists in other disciplines.
- To liaise and cooperate with local, national, regional and international bodies involved in the funding, promotion, distribution and development of writing.
- To promote members’ publications, both nationally and internationally.
- To promote and protect freedom of expression.